Wednesday, February 26, 2014

How 'Unique Creations by Tracy' Started

     I had been a stay at home mom for about 4 years in 2012 when I decided I wanted to learn something new. Since, I have been a kid I have always loved to do crafts of all kinds so thought I would pick up a new craft. For my new years resolution in January of 2012 I decided I would teach my self to crochet.  In February, I got some yarn and crochet hooks and went to YouTube. I found some videos on YouTube to teach me the basics of how to crochet. The first thing I made was a potholder which my kids now play with in their play kitchen.

Next, I decided I would try a scarf for my daughter.

 
Hats and hair clips came next.


 
 
I got hooked and couldn't stop. After some family and friends saw what I was making they told me I needed to start my own business selling what I crochet. At first, I just started a Facebook page and within weeks at the end of April 2012 I opened a store on Storenvy. Why Storenvy? I had heard so many wonderful things about them from fellow handmade artists. I loved that I could personalize my shop and there were no fees for listing my items. I opened up Unique Creations by Tracy with hats and hair accessories. Shortly after I ventured into amigurumi, crochet stuffed animals, with making monsters.


After making monsters I fell in love with amigurumi and wanted to try others. I then made an owl which everyone loved and I couldn't make them fast enough.


For a while I focused just on the owls, but then wanted to venture into making some other items. I asked my children what they would like and they said stuffed animals so I then began to make a variety of animals. My owls will always be my first love and I will never stop making them, but I enjoy trying new pieces many of them being custom orders. That is how I started and got to where I am today!


3 comments:

  1. i think its awesome that you are self taught! You are a natural at it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoy trying to learn new things on my own.

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to know more about how you started your venture. Love your shop! Keep up the good work! Xoxo.

    ReplyDelete