Thursday, January 26, 2012

Winter Theme - Part 3

Here is part 3 and the last post about our winter theme.  There are a couple of science experiments we did that will be in separate posts to come but that is it for winter. The kids have enjoyed this theme even though we never got snow for them to play in and do a few activities. Here are a few more books we read for this unit.



We tried a new activity we have not done before where you roll a die to get a piece to build something.  In this one we built a snowman.  M and A both caught on quickly and asked to play it over and over again. I found this Roll and Build Snowman at 2 Teaching Mommies in their snow and ice unit.



Then we did some work on making patterns.  For A I made a pattern and then had him finish it.  M is great with patterning so I let her make her own patterns with the snowflakes that we got from the Snow and Ice Unit from 2 Teaching Mommies.

We also read The Mitten by Jan Brett and did some mitten activities to go along with the story.  I let the kids play with their mittens and see what toys they could find of theirs that fit inside the mitten and which were to big.  Sorry no pictures of this activity. M is really into rhyming words right now, so I had the following mitten rhyming matching game for her that is out of an old teaching book I had.  She really enjoyed doing this activity, and is still going around the house saying, "Mommy, ____ and ____ rhyme."



A worked on his counting skills with the following mitten activity.  He had to tell me how many mittens were on each card.  I found this printable at Oopsey Daisy.



Throughout the last three weeks we have done many other activities to go along with this theme but I didn't always get pictures.  The blogs I have all ready mentioned in this post and the past winter posts have many other printables that I used along with this theme too.  Starting next week we will be doing our Valentine's theme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment